international competitiveness department mandate
Analyse the country’s global competitiveness performance through, engagements and partnerships with international competitiveness institutions, as well as undertake benchmarking exercises for enhancing international competitiveness.
- Conduct international competitiveness benchmarking against comparator countries in Regional and International Economic Communities, such as SADC, COMESA, ACP/EU, WTO, AFCFTA, UNCTAD; among others;
- Undertake outreach and engagements with regional and international competitiveness institutions, such WEF, GFCC and Development Partners for building coalitions and partnerships;
- Coordinate all data collection required by international competitiveness institutions such as World Economic Forum, World Bank, Institute of Management Development, among others, for calculating the country’s international competitiveness indicators’ scores and rankings;
- Analyse the country’s international competitiveness performance i.e., scores and rankings using various indicators that include the World Economic Forum’s Global Competitiveness Index and World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business, among others
- Produce and maintain a database on international competitiveness indicators;
- Identify international and private standards and requirements under International Organisations for Standards (ISO), WTO, the FAO/WHO Codex Alimentarius Commission, the OIE, the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE), the European Commission, the Food and Drug Administration in the US, among others, and develop a compendium thereof, by sector, product, and country;
- Identify, analyse and develop a matrix of Export Promotion Incentives that enhances competitiveness of Zimbabwean goods and services in international markets and disseminate the same to local industry;
- Conduct International Competitiveness surveys;
- Identify and analyse regional and international tariffs as well Bilateral, Regional and Multilateral Trade Agreements and Protocols that impact on global competitiveness
- Identify and analyse Bilateral Investment Treaties and Double Taxation Agreements that impact on global competitiveness
- Provide international marketing regular reviews on barriers to entry, skills and quality.